The coolest teacher going

Sunday, March 21, 2010

Carl Burrell and his gnashing giblets!

This week has really got my mental giblets going! I am watching the video on Clay Burrell's speech in Australia (he conducted it in Mooloolabah I think? Yes proximity is an amazing thing). This guys is really amazing, if there is anyone I would like to emulate in terms of aura, visions and infinite charisma, it is certainly this amazing man. He has really got me thinking in an abstract realm of why ICTs should be implemented.

We have entered the information age and children are technology savvy. There is no qualms in acknowledging this fact, children do not care for paper and illegible handwriting (since when do 'teachers' think they are doctors anyway?). Patients don't even need to read doctor's writing, last time I checked students do need to read feedback teachers give to their students. I have encountered these pesky sorts since high school and they have bugged me.

Students will zone out if meaningful engaged learning activities are not incorporated into the classroom. Learning Managers have to 'keep up with the times' and if they don't, then the ones to suffer educationally will be the students. ICTs must be employed to not only make education enjoyable but for students to realise that education is meaningful and has purpose. The challenge faced by learning managers is to create a balance between curriculum requirements and engaged learning techniques. I think it would be easy for engaged learning to sway side tracked and exclusively rely on the technology itself for learning. It is good to offer ICTs but it is also imperative that it accommodates the stimuli as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment