The coolest teacher going

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

week 2 catch up synopsis

Week 2 was literally information overload as I attempted to grasp an array of key terms for my glossary. Again we were required to reflect on our own formal education like in week 1 but with a little bit more theory embedded into our conscious concerning teacher centric and student centered styles of teaching. Some of the reflections I came up with:

teacher centric:

1. First memory that springs to mind is memorised rehearsals of the times tables in math. I'm not sure if this still occurs (could someone with children in primary school help me out?), my assumption would be that it still does. For those not mathematically savvy like myself, this task was treacherous and really hacked at my self-esteem as I'm sure it did others. So yes, eventually I did know my times tables but as it turned we were only required to memorise up to the set of 12. Any multiplication equations that necessitated sets above 12, I could not equate without a calculator (and still really can't). Learners may have been more inspired to participate in more abstract multiplication (without a calculator) equations if an interactive approach was employed.

2. I mentioned in the first week how my grade 1 teacher assumed I was slow and advised my parents that I should be kept down. Little did she realise I only maintained a hearing level of 30% capacity. I had gromits inserted and went onto grade 2 with no qualms. Teacher centric learning? It is pretty obvious she observed very little of my social interactions, I mean how hard is it to realise a child has little hearing? She had little or no respect for students with diverse needs.

3. Dictation: when the teacher reads aloud and students write to the best of their ability (depending on how fast the teacher reads) what he/she is saying. The epitome of teacher-centric learning. The teacher is metaphorically the 'god' figure. I don't recall this happening consistently, but it did take place.

student centred:

1. Going to again refer to week 1's version of this question. My grade 5 teacher employed an ICT which us students thought was pretty cool in that of a camera. We were required to take stills of events and construct a story out of them. The Unit of Work's theme was story telling and how student understand the steps of conventional linear narrative. All students enjoyed this UoW.

2. The next memory from the same teacher (this 'learning manager' was definitely the best teacher I have ever had) was when he was implementing an integrated unit of work for history. He covered Greek history and mythology. What he did was very effective as students learnt about all major subjects and geographical areas of ancient Greece. What we participated in was an Olympics day reminiscent of the ancient Greek Olympics. It was a day long event and something he did every year with his particular class. He built it up so that we knew this day was coming. Prior this we learnt about Greek history and were encouraged to make input concerning what should happen on the day of activities.

The thing that particularly interested me the most about this week was the Individual Leaning Styles which can be found here. Through this website you can discover your own personal learning style and general insights into the social and psychological dynamics of your personality type. My particular learning style was INFJ (Introverted Intuitive Feeling and Judging). For a thorough explanation on this learning type check out this link.

No comments:

Post a Comment