The coolest teacher going

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

week 1 catch-up synopsis

week 1

Looking back I can really see how much I have progressed in a mere 3 weeks. By looking at everyone else's blogs, I figured I should get started on my own (are we not supposed to start doing this next week being week 4?). The first week consisted of us as potential learning managers taking a step back and reminiscing on our own formal education and figuring whether it was teacher centric or student centered, or as the first week of readings initially described it: 21st century thinking (mode 2) or traditional (mode 1).

I could think of one example that was quintessential traditional and if it wasn't for the persistence of my parents I could have been kept down. I began primary school in 1992 and reflecting on my experience within the context of my current understanding of traditional and knowledge based working systems, I can say that both Primary and Secondary schooling embraced both, not necessarily equally. The first thing that came to mind when thinking about traditional/industrial styles of teaching was my grade 1 teacher. She particularly stands out in my mind due to the fact I found it difficult to comprehend a lot of the set tasks and in my 6-year-old perspective, she just seemed brutal. My grade 1 teacher actually wanted me to be kept down because she thought i was intellectually behind the other students. My father has told me on occasion of some of the conversations he had with my grade 1 teacher and he
distinctly remembers her telling him (in so many words) that she didn't like me. The ironic thing, and what most exposes this 'teacher is all' attitude is that I, in actual fact had a mere 30 per cent of my hearing. My grade 1 teacher failed to acknowledge this in the absence of effective learning management teaching strategies. I had gromits inserted into my ears not long after that and went onto grade 2 with the rest of my class mates.

The next integral part of this week consisted of really distinguishing mode 1 and mode 2 styles of teaching. I found this part particularly interesting due to clear cut definitions of difference between the two. Prior to reading this I felt slightly anxious and really wanted to clarify for myself what these differences consisted of.

The first thing I thought when i was reading the characteristics of Mode 1 was the empiricist concept which is a literature term. It believes in the infinite genius of one and that context really plays no part. This was particularly evident when Heath said that 'an individual creates the knowledge' (2001).I read a little further and my thoughts were confirmed as Heath said 'Teachers in these system were regarded as special people and were most often individuals with particular qualities and ability' (2001). Even though a lesson plans is developed by the one person, it should borrow ideas from other forms and should be the result of peer inclusion.

I think what the author is basically trying to say is that mode 1 is objective, that there is only one way to do things (Heath 2001). Mode 1 knowledge takes things at face value insinuating that all students will react the same and when one or a few don't, well that's there problem... if they want to keep up with the rest they will have to either do it in their own time (seek tutors) or be set out special working schedules separate from the rest of the class (Heath 2001). This is where the gap between the more intellectual to the less is widened and there is a much more objective distinction between the 'the blue collared workers' and 'the white collared thinkers'.

The difference between mode 1 and 2 can detrimentally effect my own teaching practices. I have always been a firm believer in creativity and delving into thinking via subjectivity. Students are different and are typified by their respective ideologies. Incorporating Pragmatism can encourage communication in the classroom in identifying the differences in students and how they should be taught. All students' differences must be incorporated, it might seem daunting
but to me it is very possible through learning management thus effective pedagogy, that all the students' needs in a classroom can be considered in either an integrated unit of work or a lesson plan.

References

Heath, G 2001, Teacher Education and the New Knowledge Environment, http://www.aare.edu.au/01pap/hea01582.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment