The coolest teacher going

Monday, March 22, 2010

wiki excersise and engaged learning

The wiki concept is terrific and a certain proponent of engaged learning. I previously attempted to devise an engaged learning activity and was stuck with what kind of database students could employ to interact with each other. I suggested email. Looking back and watching the video within the lecture module, email now seems like a total waste in organisation. When I was thinking about the database to employ for students, little did I realise that there were presentation databases out there that not only lets students interact on a personal basis electronically but ones that also let students contribute to the presentation project simultaneously.

For my personal Wiki I chose what I thought was a feasible research topic that students could engage in: Australian explorers. This was something I was taught in middle school and one that I enjoyed. It was the first thing I thought of and yes, it wouldn't be universally authentic (some students would be interested who have an inclination for humanitarian and historical studies, others would be more interested in other more practical vocations), my future ideas for other Wikis will be better suited. Re-evaluating my choice, Australian Explorers probably wasn't the best choice, what kind of outsider would come in and assess the presentations? I could as the teacher be the assessor, but students would realise that I am not an authentic historian.

'Engagement theory is based upon the idea of creating successful collaborative teams that work on ambitious projects that are meaningful to someone outside the classroom. These three components, summarized by Relate-Create-Donate, imply that learning activities:

  1. occur in a group context (i.e., collaborative teams)
  2. are project-based
  3. have an outside (authentic) focus'
(Kearsley & Shneiderman 1999)

I think Wikis have been formulated for engaged learning activities as they provide opportunities for collaborative working (class is split up into teams and given a research issue, or asked to present a solution to something like global warming). 'Teachers will need practice in organizing and conducting collaborative activities, particularly the facilitative role that is needed. A lot of attention has to be devoted to ways in which student teams can most effectively present and share their results with each other. And both students and teachers will need training and support in the use of all online communication tools' (Kearsley & Shneiderman 1999). The online communication tools referred to here can be sufficed by Wikis.

G, Kearsley & B, Shneiderman 1999, 'Engagement Theory: A framework for technology-based teaching and learning', http://home.sprynet.com/~gkearsley/engage.htm

1 comment:

  1. Hello Samaael,

    I agree with the part of your post concerning teacher's needs for training and development in the ICT's areas. I just know that many of my future students will run rings around me with their technology knowledge. I will persevere and learn as I go, it's actually quite exciting.

    Michael Prim F/T

    ReplyDelete